A fire has broken out at Kiwi House near King’s Cross Station after a barbecue got out of control.
A Who’s Jack representative happened to be on a bus going past Kiwi House and there were dramatic scenes with an exodus of people leaving the scene. Luckily it was clear to see the emergency services were on top of things and the fire was being hosed down.
There have been no injuries reported so far.
According to Twitter-er Andrew Scott, the fire started when “One of the gas hoses to the BBQs caught on fire. Extinguishers didn’t work, since then there have been 3-4 explosions.”
Up until the fire, Kiwi House had been used as a drinking spot by New Zealanders wanting to tune into the Olympics: it was opened by the New Zealand Olympic Committee on the evening of the games.