It seems that the Olympics is very much dividing the opinions of Londoners right now. While the majority of us have thrown ourselves into the spirit of it there are still some who really just do not care.
But whatever your stance is when it comes to the Olympics everyone loves a good fact and so with that in mind, and to waste a bit of time this Monday afternoon, we thought we’d bring you some little known, but very interesting, facts about the Olympic Games…
1. Until the 1950′s art was counted as an Olympic sport. Everything from sport themed paintings to music and sculpture were awarded medals.
2. The last while male athlete to win the 100 metre race was Allan Wells in 1980.
3. The first ever Games were held right here in London in 1896.
4. But women weren’t allowed to take part until the following Games took place.
5. The word gymnasium comes from the Greek word ‘gymos’ meaning naked. Therefore those who took part in the gymnastics section of the Games used to do so in the nude.
6. The rings represent at least one colour from every flag in the world.
7. The Games used to last 187 days. And we thought 2 weeks was long enough…
8. The current Olympic Park has 525 bird boxes.
9. And 150 bat boxes.
10. Croquet, cricket, power boating, golf and tug-of-war all used to be Olympic Games but have since been cancelled.